HOW CAN OUR OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST (OT) HELP YOU?:
Our Occupational Therapist (OT) assess, and provide recommendations for issues with:
- Daily tasks such as dressing, showering, cooking etc.
- Pursuing recreational activities
- Balance, walking ability and decreasing risk of falling
- Challenges with memory or concentration
- Return to work after lengthy illness or injury
- Driving safety due to medical condition(s)
- Chronic pain
- Caregiver stress
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE OT APPOINTMENT?:
You and the Occupational Therapist will determine your difficulties, what you feel is important and would like to improve. The occupational therapist will provide recommendations to help improve your safety and independence by:
- Providing new ways of doing tasks or help maintain/improve current abilities i.e. Increase strength, cope with memory troubles, increase confidence
- Recommending adaptive equipment, such as cane, walker etc.
- Recommending changes to environment to improve accessibility and safety
- Developing skills and abilities for work, home and leisure
- Connect you with appropriate community resources to improve your quality of life
A report of the assessment and recommendations is also sent back to your family doctor. It is encouraged that a family or caregiver be present, if possible during appointments for support, and to gather necessary information regarding your health and function.
For more information and resources for chronic pain in the community, please click here.
Please refer to our Power Over Pain flyer for more information, please click here to refer to our flyer.
some helpful links:
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists https://caot.ca/
- Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists https://www.osot.on.ca/
- Supports and services offered in Peel Region https://www.centralwesthealthline.ca/
- Central West Home & Community Care Support Services http://healthcareathome.ca/centralwest/en
- Alzheimer’s Society of Peel https://alzheimer.ca/peel/en
- Arthritis Society Canada https://arthritis.ca/
- Region of Peel Social Supports https://www.peelregion.ca/coronavirus/social-support/
- Osteoporosis Canada https://osteoporosis.ca/
- Ontario Self Management https://www.selfmanagementontario.ca/